v2025 (2)

v2025

News

Lotus Tower Could Become Southeast Asia’s Largest Christmas Tree 

Western Province Governor Hanif Yusoof has proposed transforming Colombo’s iconic Lotus Tower into what he hopes will be Southeast Asia’s largest Christmas tree during the upcoming festive season.

Yusoof made the proposal while speaking at the launch of PickMe’s Colombo Connect digital ecosystem at the Lotus Tower on Wednesday, presenting the idea as part of efforts to create a stronger Christmas atmosphere in Colombo and attract more visitors during the holiday period.

However, the proposal has not yet been confirmed as an official government project. Details such as the estimated cost, implementation timeline and the involvement of Lotus Tower management have yet to be announced.

Yusoof said he intended to make this Christmas a major attraction for Colombo and pledged to raise the proposal with President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and Prime Minister Harini Amarasuriya.

He also called on businesses and members of the private sector to contribute to the festive atmosphere by decorating hotels, restaurants, shops and homes.

The proposal comes nearly a decade after Sri Lanka's previous attempt to create a record-breaking Christmas tree at Galle Face Green in 2016. That project, which was privately funded at a reported cost of Rs. 12 million, faced construction delays and criticism over its expenditure. Guinness World Records subsequently certified the structure as the world's tallest artificial Christmas tree in December 2017.

The earlier structure was built using materials including scrap metal, wood and more than one million hand-painted pine cones.

In contrast, the proposed Lotus Tower display could potentially make use of the structure's existing LED lighting system, potentially reducing the need for major construction work. However, it remains unclear whether the tower's lighting infrastructure will be used for the proposed Christmas display.

For now, the plan remains an ambition announced by the Governor, with further details expected if the proposal moves towards implementation.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 75

Sajith raises breach of privilege over jailed MP

Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa has raised concerns in Parliament over the continued denial of parliamentary privileges to imprisoned Badulla District MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

Speaking in parliament yesterday (07), he said that Wijesiri had not been allowed to attend parliamentary sessions for the past three days despite formal written requests being submitted to the relevant authorities.

The Opposition Leader said that authorities had ignored repeated demands to have MP Wijesiri transported from prison to the parliamentary chamber.

He stressed that preventing an elected Member of Parliament from attending sittings amounted to a direct violation of parliamentary privileges.

He questioned who was responsible for preventing Wijesiri from coming to Parliament, noting that precedents existed for such arrangements to be made.

Premadasa also said that Wijesiri had been deprived of his right to speak and raise questions in Parliament as a result of being kept away from the chamber.

He said that Sections 3 and 5 of the Parliamentary Powers and Privileges Act had been violated, and described the situation as an illegal and unconstitutional breach of the MP's privileges.

He added that Wijesiri had consequently lost the opportunity to participate in recent parliamentary debates as well as in meetings of committees of which he is a member.

The Opposition Leader called on the Deputy Speaker to refer the matter to the Privileges Committee in order to establish who was responsible for the breach.

*Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLqsfLfCGxM&t=58s*

Comment (0) Hits: 81

Three Suspected Organised Crime Associates to Return to Sri Lanka from Malaysia

Three Sri Lankan nationals suspected of links to organised criminal networks are due to arrive in Sri Lanka today (10) after being arrested in Malaysia.

The suspects are expected to be escorted back by a special police team headed by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Rohan Olugala. They are scheduled to travel on SriLankan Airlines flight UL 317, which is due to land in Sri Lanka at around 4.00 p.m.

Police sources have reportedly identified one of the suspects as a close associate of notorious underworld figure “Kanjipani Imran.” An Interpol Red Notice has also reportedly been issued against the individual.

The three suspects are wanted over allegations linked to several murder cases as well as other activities involving organised criminal groups.

Authorities are expected to commence further investigations and take necessary legal action against the suspects after they are handed over to Sri Lankan law enforcement authorities.

Comment (0) Hits: 81

CID Director Shani Abeysekara Elevated to DIG Rank

Director of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Shani Abeysekara, has been elevated to the rank of Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG).

Abeysekara, who currently heads the CID, received the promotion from SSP to DIG, marking a further advancement in his career within the Sri Lanka Police.

He continues to serve as the Director of the Criminal Investigation Department in his new rank.

Comment (0) Hits: 85

Sagara Kariyawasam Arrested By CCIB

The Colombo Central Crimes Investigation Bureau (CCIB) arrested Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) General Secretary Sagara Kariyawasam on Monday after he reported to investigators following an official summons.

The arrest forms part of an ongoing police inquiry into public remarks made by Kariyawasam regarding Inspector General of Police Priyantha Weerasooriya.

The CCIB launched a special investigation into the politician after he delivered a media address at the party headquarters on 3 August.

During the briefing, Kariyawasam cautioned the Police Chief to serve the state and the public rather than the government, making reference to former police chiefs and suggesting that the incumbent could face a violent end on the roadside.

He also expressed a hope that the police chief would not go down in history as the 37th Inspector General of Police to be beaten to death by members of the public.

The comments immediately drew widespread condemnation from government officials, who viewed the statement as a direct threat against the top law enforcement officer.

The SLPP subsequently rejected allegations that the remarks constituted a death threat, claiming that the statement was taken out of context and was intended to highlight concerns over fair policing.

Comment (0) Hits: 76

Six Arrested in Rathmalana Drug-Linked Raid as Police Recover Weapons and Cash 

Six individuals have been taken into custody following a police operation in the Gona Kowila area of Rathmalana, where authorities recovered several weapons, a hand grenade, and a large amount of cash suspected to be linked to drug-related activities.

The raid was conducted by the Crimes Prevention Unit of the Mount Lavinia Police after officers received information during an earlier investigation involving a suspected drug trafficker.

According to police, a suspect was first arrested in the Arthur Place area of Rathmalana by a team from the Special Motorcycle Unit. The individual was found in possession of 1,000 milligrams of Crystal Methamphetamine, commonly known as Ice.

During questioning, the suspect allegedly provided details about the source of the drugs, which led investigators to a location believed to have been used for distributing narcotics.

A subsequent search of the premises resulted in the discovery of three swords, three knives, a locally produced hand grenade, other sharp weapons, and Rs. 300,000 in cash believed to have been generated through drug sales. Police also found eight mobile phones in the possession of the suspects.

The primary suspect arrested in the case is a 29-year-old resident, while the remaining suspects, aged between 22 and 51, are from Rathmalana, Nawalapitiya, and Eheliyagoda.

The suspects are due to be presented before a Magistrate, with police expected to request detention orders to continue investigations into the incident.

Comment (0) Hits: 95

SJB to challenge 22nd Amendment in court

The Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) has initiated discussions with legal experts to challenge the proposed 22nd Amendment to the Constitution following the official publication of the draft bill in the Government Gazette.

Sri Lanka's main parliamentary opposition party joined forces with the Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) to oppose the gazetted legislation, which aims to extend the retirement ages of superior court judges across the island.

Under the provisions approved by the Cabinet of Ministers on 27 July, the retirement age for Supreme Court judges will rise from 65 to 67 years, while Court of Appeal judges will see their tenure extended from 63 to 65 years.

The amendment also mandates that the Chief Justice must step down upon reaching the age of 67 or after serving six years in office, depending on which milestone occurs first.

Speaking on the party's strategy, SJB General Secretary Ranjith Madduma Bandara stated that the opposition had maintained a consistent stance against the proposal from its inception.

He said that the party was holding regular consultations with legal counsel to evaluate potential court challenges while simultaneously planning public demonstrations, political campaigns, and protest rallies to mobilize popular pressure against the government.

Comment (0) Hits: 73

Probe Launched After Prison Unrest in Kuruwita and Negombo Facilities 

The Department of Prisons has initiated an inquiry into disturbances reported at the Kuruwita Prison and the Pallansena Open-Air Correctional Center in Dalupotha, Negombo.

Authorities confirmed that the tense conditions that developed at the two facilities earlier on August 7 have since been brought under control following intervention by prison officials.

The Department stated that support from the Sri Lanka Police and the Police Special Task Force (STF) was requested to assist in managing the situation and restoring order within the prisons.

Following the incident, additional security measures have been implemented at both locations, with personnel from the Police, STF, and the Tri-Forces deployed to reinforce security.

The Department said further investigations are underway to determine the circumstances that led to the unrest.

Comment (0) Hits: 79

Judicial tenure extension paves way for one-party rule -Opposition Leader

Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa accused the government of setting Sri Lanka on a path toward single-party rule by prioritizing constitutional changes to extend judges' retirement ages rather than fixing the country's severe economic hardship.

Speaking at the launch of the Samagi Vanitha Balawegaya branch in Ruwanwella, the Opposition Leader stated that altering judicial tenure would do nothing to alleviate poverty, unemployment, or widespread public distress.

He said that the government ought to direct its focus toward immediate agrarian and social needs, including fertiliser subsidies, irrigation repairs, and prison system reforms.

Premadasa alleged that the government was actively pressuring the bench to weaken democratic checks and balances and secure total political dominance.

He pointed out that state resources and appointments, such as those to youth societies and civil security committees, had previously been directed through a political party headquarters in Pelawatte.

Instead of shielding judicial appointments, Premadasa insisted the government should have introduced constitutional amendments guaranteeing rights for women, children, and senior citizens.

He noted that a critical portion of the population remained trapped in poverty while shortages in government hospitals forced vulnerable patients to buy essentials from private pharmacies.

The Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) leader pledged that his party would work to turn those social protections into constitutionally guaranteed fundamental rights when given the opportunity.

He added that the public entrusted the current NPP government with a mandate to deliver economic prosperity and raise living standards, not to protect judicial terms.

Comment (0) Hits: 66

Sri Lanka Moves to Build Stronger Sports Tourism Framework to Attract Global Events 

Sri Lanka is exploring new strategies to expand its sports tourism industry by creating a more organized framework to attract international sporting events and boost the country’s appeal as a global tourism destination.

A special meeting held on August 7 focused on developing sports tourism as a key area within the tourism sector, with discussions involving officials from the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Sports.

The discussions highlighted the need to promote Sri Lanka as a destination capable of hosting major international competitions, sporting festivals, and related events. Officials also considered ways to increase participation from both government and private sector sponsors to support the successful hosting of such events.

Plans were proposed to introduce an annual schedule of sports competitions and festivals, allowing Sri Lanka to present itself as a more accessible and reliable destination for international organizers. A structured calendar is expected to help improve planning and attract more global events throughout the year.

The meeting also addressed the challenges involved in obtaining approvals for sports events, with proposals to create a streamlined and transparent process involving relevant government institutions.

As part of these efforts, authorities agreed to establish a destination management office that would coordinate among agencies involved in event approvals. The proposed office will work towards developing standard guidelines, checklists, and operational procedures while ensuring the necessary funding and structural support are in place.

Officials believe these measures could strengthen Sri Lanka’s position in the international sports tourism market while creating new opportunities for the country’s tourism sector.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 84

Sri Lanka prisoners’ rights group leaders threatened with sending ‘six feet under

The two senior representatives of Sri Lanka’s leading organization advocating for prisoners’ rights have received death threats two days before three detainees died in renewed prison violence.

On Friday (7) three detainees had died in what the authorities described as ‘unrest’ in Colombo’s New Magazine and Kuruwita prisons.

A month ago, deadly clashes in the Negombo prison left at least 31 dead including prison officers. Some of the inmates transferred elsewhere had also met with violence.

The Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners (CPRP) had complained to the UN and the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka that the second round of violence against transferred inmates was in retaliation to deaths of prison officers.

General Secretary of the Ceylon Teachers’ Union Joseph Stalin on Thursday (6) revealed that the office of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners (CPRP) had received two letters on 5th August threatening the Chairman and Convener with death and urging them to immediately stop intervening in cases involving violations of prisoners’ human rights.

The letters slammed the CPRP leadership for lodging complaints with the United Nations regarding the deaths of prisoners in custody.

"Both of them have received two threatening letters so far, demanding not to take any action in this regard, and emphasizing that if they do, they will be sent six feet under."

Two separate threatening letters, dated 17th July, were sent to the Chairman of CPRP, Attorney at Law Senaka Perera, and Convener, Sudesh Nandimal Silva, under the name "Patriotic Defense Unit."

"Aren't you ashamed to go to Geneva and gossip about the country? You should immediately stop trying to betray this country by going to Geneva and telling lies about the officials and the country," the two death threat letters seen by us stated.

After the two letters threatening to send them "six feet under" were received by the office of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners on 5th August, the organization immediately contacted the Inspector General of Police.

A complaint was also lodged with the Borella Police on 6th August.

The Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners said it also informed the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka during a discussion held with the Commission on Thursday.

Senior Teachers' Union leader Joseph Stalin emphasized that it is the responsibility of the government to investigate the matter.

"Because this is not something that can be taken lightly. Such acts have started in this country under various governments in this manner."

Joseph Stalin also stated that it is evident that various threats are being made even against journalists who visit the homes of deceased prisoners and investigate the circumstances surrounding their deaths.

Stressing that suppressing organizations that raise the concerns of prisoners amounts to silencing the voices of prisoners, the Teachers' Union leader strongly urged the government to immediately investigate the death threats made against the two representatives of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners.

Emphasizing that the CPRP is not isolated, the Ceylon Teachers' Union leader also stated at the press conference that they would extend their unconditional support to any action taken by the CPRP.

Comment (0) Hits: 89

Heavy Rain, Strong Winds Forecast Over Several Areas During Next 36 Hours 

The Department of Meteorology says that intermittent showers or thundershowers are likely over the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North Western provinces, as well as the Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Galle and Matara districts during the next 36 hours.

The department said skies over these areas are expected to remain cloudy, while heavy rainfall of around 100 mm may occur at some locations in the Sabaragamuwa Province and the Kandy and Nuwara Eliya districts.

Strong winds with speeds of 40–50 km/h are also expected at times over the North Central, Sabaragamuwa, Southern, Central and North Western provinces.

The Department of Meteorology has advised the public to take necessary precautions to minimise the risks associated with temporary strong winds, lightning, and thundershowers.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 93

Page 4 of 757