v2025 (2)

v2025

News

Dengue Cases Near 30,000 as Health Authorities Flag High-Risk Areas Nationwide

Sri Lanka is nearing the 30,000 mark in dengue infections this year, with health authorities warning of continued transmission across the country and identifying dozens of high-risk areas requiring urgent intervention.

According to the National Dengue Control Unit (NDCU), a total of 29,589 dengue cases had been reported by May 18, 2026. Community Health Specialist Dr. Prashila Samaraweera said 15 dengue-related deaths have also been confirmed during the same period.

Health officials have identified 39 high-risk Medical Officer of Health (MOH) divisions across the island as areas in need of immediate attention as efforts continue to contain the spread of the mosquito-borne disease.

The Western Province has recorded the highest number of infections so far, followed by the Southern and Sabaragamuwa provinces. Dengue cases have been reported in all 25 districts nationwide, with Colombo, Gampaha, Ratnapura, Matara, Galle, Kalutara and Kandy among the worst-affected districts.

Dr. Samaraweera further noted that entomological surveys have detected increased dengue transmission in locations including schools, government institutions, workplaces and religious sites.

Health authorities continue to urge the public to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds and maintain clean surroundings as part of ongoing efforts to curb the spread of dengue across the country.

 
 
Comment (0) Hits: 35

Habarana Man Sentenced to Death for 2015 Murder

The Anuradhapura Predecessor High Court has sentenced a man to death after finding him guilty of a murder committed in Habarana more than a decade ago.

The judgment was delivered by High Court Judge Lakmali Hewawasam against accused A.G. Milan Kumara (33), a resident of Habarana, who was indicted over the fatal stabbing of W. Oshan Maduranga (22).

According to court proceedings, the incident had taken place in November 2015 when the victim was allegedly stabbed to death in the area.

Following non-summary proceedings at the Kekirawa Magistrate’s Court, the accused was ordered to stand trial before the High Court.

Delivering the verdict, Judge Hewawasam ruled that the prosecution had succeeded in proving the charges against the accused beyond reasonable doubt.

The prosecution was conducted by State Counsels Charmika Guruge and Yomali Nagodavithana, while Attorney-at-Law Lewke Bandara appeared on behalf of the accused.

During the trial, several witnesses gave evidence before court, including former Judicial Medical Officer of the Anuradhapura Teaching Hospital Dr. Paneetha Seneviratne and officers attached to the Habarana Police.

 
 
 
Comment (0) Hits: 46

South-West Monsoon Strengthens, Bringing Rain and Strong Winds Across Sri Lanka

The south-west monsoon is gradually becoming established over Sri Lanka, bringing widespread showers, thundershowers and strong winds to several parts of the country, according to the Department of Meteorology.

Weather officials said showers or thundershowers will occur at times today (20) in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces, as well as in the districts of Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya.

Fairly heavy rainfall exceeding 50 mm is expected in some areas within these regions, the Met. Department noted.

Several spells of showers are also forecast for the Northern Province and the districts of Anuradhapura and Hambantota.

Meanwhile, isolated showers or thundershowers may develop in parts of the Uva Province and in the Ampara and Batticaloa districts after 2.00 p.m.

The department further warned that fairly strong winds of around 30 to 40 kmph can be expected at times over the western slopes of the central hills and across the Northern, North-central, North-western and Southern provinces.

Authorities have urged the public to take necessary precautions to reduce the risk of damage caused by temporary localized strong winds and lightning during thundershowers as monsoon conditions continue to strengthen over the island.

Comment (0) Hits: 31

Govt Moves to Eliminate Single-Use Plastics in State Institutions

The Ministry of Public Administration, Provincial Councils and Local Government has introduced a new circular aimed at strengthening solid waste management practices across all state institutions, with a major focus on eliminating single-use plastics.

The circular, issued to Ministry Secretaries, Provincial Chief Secretaries, Heads of Departments, and Heads of Corporations and Statutory Boards, directs all government institutions to completely discontinue the purchase and use of single-use plastic water bottles from May 31 onwards.

In addition, heads of institutions have been instructed to take immediate steps to prevent the use of single-use plastics within their respective workplaces as part of a broader effort to reduce environmental pollution and improve sustainable waste management practices.

The Ministry further stated that the provisions outlined in the Public Administration Circular issued on April 2, 2025, will continue to remain in force alongside the newly introduced measures.

Accordingly, all state institutions have been reminded to strictly follow the internationally recognized “3R” waste management concept — Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.

The Ministry of Public Administration, Provincial Councils and Local Government noted that the circular was issued with the concurrence of the Ministry of Environment, underscoring a coordinated government effort to promote environmentally responsible practices within the public sector.

 
 
 
 
Comment (0) Hits: 49

Nine Public Transport Workers Arrested in Kalutara Over Suspected Drug Use on Duty

 

 

Comment (0) Hits: 37

Special traffic plan for National War Heroes’ Commemoration ceremony

The ‘‘National War Heroes’ Commemoration Ceremony,’’ is scheduled to be held today (19) at the Parliamentary Grounds in front of the National War Hero’s Monument in Battaramulla, under the patronage of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake.  

The police have announced a special traffic management plan to be implemented during the event.

Accordingly, vehicular traffic will be limited along Parliament Road from Polduwa (Diyatha Uyana) junction to Keangnam junction Battaramulla from 3.30 pm today till conclusion of the National War Heroes’ commemoration. 

Alternative routes:

  • Vehicles exiting Colombo via the Parliamentary Road may proceed through Polduwa Junction, Battaramulla, Palanthuna, and Keangnam Junction.    
  • Vehicles entering Colombo from Keangnam Junction may travel via Palanthuna and Battaramulla.  
  • Vehicles arriving from Rajamalwatta via Bodhiraja Mawatha may proceed to Battaramulla Road and continue along their required routes.

Parking arrangements for buses and trucks:

  • From Japan Sri Lanka Friendship Road Junction to Kimbulāwala Junction.    
  • From the Ceylon Electricity Board area along Japan Sri Lanka Friendship Road up to Pelawatta.

(Adaderana.lk)

Comment (0) Hits: 43

Sri Lanka Tourist Arrivals Cross 950,000 in 2026 as May Momentum Slows

Sri Lanka’s tourism sector has surpassed a major milestone this year, with tourist arrivals crossing the 950,000 mark by mid-May, according to the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA).

Official figures show that a total of 951,742 tourists visited the island between January 1 and May 17, 2026, highlighting the continued strength of Sri Lanka’s tourism industry during the first months of the year.

India remained the leading source market, contributing the highest number of visitors with 221,953 arrivals during the period. The SLTDA also noted that a significant share of tourists arrived from key international markets including the United Kingdom, Russia, China and Germany.

In May alone, 75,465 tourists entered the country between May 1 and May 17, reflecting continued visitor inflows during the month.

However, tourism data also point to a slowdown in momentum, with daily tourist arrivals in May showing a notable decline compared to the stronger figures recorded during the first three months of 2026.

Despite the dip in daily arrivals, Sri Lanka’s tourism industry has maintained a strong performance overall, nearing the one-million-arrival milestone in less than five months into the year.

 
 
 
Comment (0) Hits: 33

Meta to launch ‘Incognito Chat’ for private AI conversations on WhatsApp

Meta Platforms is rolling out a new “Incognito Chat” feature for its artificial intelligence assistant on WhatsApp messaging service, the company said on Wednesday, as it looks to address data privacy concerns.

Meta said incognito chats will be powered by its private processing technology, ensuring conversations remain invisible to anyone, including the company itself.

“Your conversations are not saved and by default, your messages disappear — giving you a space to think and explore ideas without anyone ⁠watching,” the company said in a blog post.

The move comes as people often share sensitive personal, financial, health or work-related information with AI assistants, despite privacy concerns about how their data could be stored or used by the companies.

“We’re starting to ask a lot of meaningful questions about our lives with AI systems. It doesn’t always feel like you should have to share the information behind those questions with the companies that run those AI systems,” Head ⁠of WhatsApp Will Cathcart said in a media briefing.

According to a company website, messages people share with Meta AI may be used by the social media company to improve its AI models, but personal chats on WhatsApp remain protected by end-to-end encryption ⁠and are not accessible for that purpose.

For now, incognito chat is text-only, meaning users will not be able to upload images, Cathcart said.

He added that the AI will ⁠also have built-in safety guardrails, refusing to answer problematic questions or steering conversations in different directions.

Meta said it also plans to introduce “Side Chat” with ⁠Meta AI in the coming months, a feature that will allow users to get private assistance within any chat on WhatsApp.

Source: Reuters

Comment (0) Hits: 56

178,000 Vehicles Imported by End of April Amid Temporary Import Controls – Finance Ministry

Deputy Minister of Finance and Planning Dr. Anil Jayantha Fernando has informed Parliament that a total of 178,000 vehicles were imported into the country by the end of April this year.

The Deputy Minister stated that the figure includes motorcycles and three-wheelers, reflecting the overall volume of vehicle imports during the period.

Responding to a question raised by Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa on vehicle imports, Dr. Fernando explained that a 50 percent surcharge on Customs duty had been imposed on vehicle imports for a three-month period.

He noted that the measure was introduced to limit imports in response to external economic conditions affecting the country.

The statement was made during proceedings in Parliament, where vehicle imports and related fiscal measures were under discussion.

Comment (0) Hits: 42

Chinese National Arrested in Kollupitiya Over Illegal Cigarette Haul

A foreign national was arrested in Kollupitiya after police uncovered a stock of allegedly smuggled foreign cigarettes during a targeted raid near Nimalka Gardens.

The operation was carried out by officers attached to the Colombo South Divisional Criminal Investigation Unit, who conducted the raid as part of an ongoing effort to crack down on illegal trade activities in the area.

Police said the suspect was found in possession of 540 sticks of foreign cigarettes believed to have been brought into Sri Lanka unlawfully.

The arrested individual has been identified as a 35-year-old Chinese national, according to police.

Authorities stated that the cigarettes were suspected to have been imported illegally, and investigations are now underway to determine the source and intended distribution of the contraband.

Kollupitiya Police are conducting further investigations into the incident.

Comment (0) Hits: 56

Government Tightens Guidelines for Vesak Season Events, Bans Inappropriate Activities

The government has introduced a new circular aimed at regulating all programmes organised for the upcoming Vesak season, including Vesak zones and Dansals, with authorities moving to prohibit activities deemed inappropriate for the religious festival.

Speaking at a media briefing at the Department of Government Information, Minister of Buddhasasana, Religious and Cultural Affairs Hiniduma Sunil Senevi said that events such as head-banging programmes and haunted houses will not be allowed during Vesak celebrations.

He further announced that organisers of Dansals have been instructed to use yellow flags instead of Buddhist flags, as part of the new regulatory framework.

According to the Minister, the programme will be implemented jointly by the All Ceylon Shasanarakshaka Bala Mandalaya and relevant state institutions, with special guidelines issued covering Dansals, Vesak decorations, road safety, and public safety.

Authorities will also take steps to prevent inappropriate decorations and displays, while strengthening coordination with security forces throughout the Vesak period.

The State Vesak Festival will be held under the theme “Let’s rally together for the common good”, focusing on social responsibility through Amisa and Prathipatti Pooja programmes, he said.

The main festival is scheduled to commence on May 27 at the Midellawala Purana Viharaya, with the participation of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake.

A series of islandwide programmes will then continue across the Matara District for one week until June 2.

Chief Secretary of the All Ceylon Shasanarakshaka Bala Mandalaya, Venerable Mugunuwela Anuruddha, said several religious and community development initiatives will also be carried out alongside this year’s Vesak celebrations, including the development of temples and monasteries in the Matara District.

He also noted that a delegation from Vietnam is expected to take part in this year’s Vesak festivities, adding an international dimension to the religious observances.

Comment (0) Hits: 49

Sri Lanka’s Tourism Earnings Dip Sharply Despite Steady Visitor Arrivals

Sri Lanka’s tourism industry recorded a notable decline in earnings during April 2026, with revenue figures dropping significantly compared to the same period last year, according to the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.

Official data released by the Central Bank showed that tourism earnings for April 2026 stood at USD 157.1 million. This marks a sharp 38.8% decrease from April 2025, when the country generated USD 256.7 million through the tourism sector.

Statistics from the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority revealed that 135,643 foreign tourists arrived in the country during April this year.

In comparison, January 2025 saw tourism earnings of USD 256.7 million generated from 174,608 tourist arrivals, highlighting the recent slowdown in both visitor numbers and revenue generation.

Despite the monthly decline, Sri Lanka continued to attract a substantial number of travelers during the first four months of 2026. Between January and April, a total of 876,277 foreign tourists visited the island, contributing USD 1,111 million in tourism earnings, according to CBSL data.

However, when compared with the corresponding period in 2025, the figures indicate a downward trend. During the first four months of last year, Sri Lanka welcomed 896,884 tourists and earned USD 1,379 million from the sector.

As a result, tourist arrivals for the January–April period recorded a 2.3% decline, while tourism earnings fell more sharply by 19.4%, reflecting growing challenges for one of the country’s key foreign exchange earning industries.

 
 
 
 
Comment (0) Hits: 59

Page 2 of 721